back to home page

M.S.C Cemetery - St. Mary's Towers

1907 to Present

the community gathers around the cross of ChristIn the MSC cemetery behind the Retreat Centre, members of the Society of the Missionaries of the Sacred Heart Australian Province and others are buried. This cemetery is the last resting place for most of the members of the province, just over two hundred, but those buried elsewhere are also remembered here. Many members come to pay their last respects, and visitors remember old friendships as they wander among the graves.

Scattered among the MSC are a few Lay members of the Chevalier Family, as well as one or two other non-MSC who laboured along side MSC priests and brothers.

While the cemetery was in use from an early time during the MSC ownership of the property, it was only consecrated on the 29th March 1944, by Most Reverend Francis Xavier Gsell msc the first bishop of the Diocese of Palmerston (now Darwin, covering the whole Northern Territory). The consecration stone marks the edge of the pathway into the cemetery.

Consecration Stone click to enlarge

Tongan fale memorial houseThe cemetery is composed of three sections; The older section, slightly raised beds with sandstone borders and white marble lead-embeded headstones, crowned with a cross of marble. The newer section is a lawn cemetery also of three double-sided rows, begun in the year 2002, it has metal plaques on low concrete supports. The third section is a memorial house built in the style of a Tongan Fale (meeting house) with a large pink granite memorial stone naming those buried in cemeteries elsewhere than Douglas Park. A waterfall adorns the Fale. A rose garden punctuates the second and third sections.

The consecration stone, statues and crosses, as well as the field-stone fences (probably the labour of the apostolic school boys) were all set in place during the time of the first section. The cemetery fence encompasses a large area - future predictions perhaps that many MSC would finish their days here.

the angels keep watchOf special significance in the older section is the grave of Rev. Father Marie Pierre Treand msc, founder of the MSC Australian Province, and a contemporary of the founder of the Missionaries of the Sacred Heart, Fr. Jules Chevalier. Originally from France, Father Treand had been in England to establish an Apostolic School at Glastonbury, Somerset, when called by Father Chevalier to come to Sydney, to help with the new foundations in Australia.

Another interesting memorial stone at the base of the central white cross is to three MSC who were killed during the hostilities of the Second World War. The orginal memorial stone marked the entrance to the older section, but had deteriorated and needed replacing. The present basalt memorial was made when the 2002 rennovations took place.

Click here to navigate through a map of the MSCcemetery and view headstones and monuments of those buried there.

 

old public cemetery

Good Shepherd Hill, St. Mary's Towers

There is an old public cemetery on the hilltop behind the buildings
(now called Good Shepherd Hill due to the statue mounted there)
where the grove of gum trees now stands.

Good Shepherd Hill

It was established in the time of Major Mitchell and Dr. Jenkins, but the headstones are gone from there.

Good Shepherd Cemetery

Research is currently being done on this cemetery, and a restored memorial is planned for the site.

appin cemetery

St Bede's Catholic Church & Graveyard, appin

St. Bede's Catholic Church,  AppinSt. Bede’s Catholic Cemetery at Appin is part of Our Lady Help of Christians Parish, Rosemeadow. The cemetery is owned and operated by Rosemeadow Parish. Copyright for information here is held by the parish. Kind permission has been granted to include information on this site, for which we are most grateful.
For all enquiries including those regarding burial or interment of ashes, please contact the Parish Office: phone: 02 4628 1385
or email: rmeadow@parish.woll.catholic.org.au

An Old Colonial Gothic style church, St Bede’s is notable for its intactness and the fact that it still retains much of its original character. The church was designed by Father John Joseph Therry and construction commenced in 1837. Bishop Polding sent Therry to Tasmania in 1838 and altered the original design of the church.

Inspection of the stonework indicates that different tradesmen built the church in stages. It has a slate roof and iron roofed square tower, which once had a timber belfry. St. Bede's has an inscription carved over the entrance that reads "J.P. EPUS A.D. 1841" indicating that work was completed on the church in 1841. The Cemetery associated with the church has many historic headstones.

St Bede’s Catholic church and graveyard are situated on four acres of ground centrally located within the township, on the corner of Appin Road and King Street.


View Larger Map

Cemetery to the right behind churchThe graveyard has some fine examples of monumental masonry reflecting the Irish Catholic background of many of the early settlers of the district.

Index of Cemetery Headstone Names & Dates;

Surveyed in August - September, 1978, by Rev. Fr. T. J. Whitty M.S.C. Original Transcripts of Fr. Whitty's notes held at St. Mary's Towers.
Click a name to go to the row in the cemetery where the headstone and dates are located;

Baxter Agatha
Bennett Mary
Bergin Teresa
Bourke Edward
Bourke Frank
Bourke John
Bourke Mary
Bourke Patrick
Brennan Ellen
Brennan John
Brennan Luke
Brennan Michael
Brennan Michael
Brennan Moses
Brennan Patrick
Brennan Patrick
Buckely Elizabeth
Buckley John
Burrows Elizabeth
Burrows Sarah
Byrne Edward
Byrne Elizabeth
Byrne Emma
Byrne James
Byrne Mary
Byrne Mary
Byrne Mary
Byrne Michael
Byrne Stephen
Byrne Susan
Byrne Thomas
Byrne Thomas
Byrne William
Callaghan Edward
Carberry William
Carroll Anne
Carroll Denis
Carroll Eileen
Carroll Elizabeth
Carroll James
Carroll Michael
Clynch Agnes
Clynch Catherine
Clynch Marion
Clynch William
Cook Elizabeth
Cooney Charles
D'Arcy Ellen
D'Arcy John
D'Arcy Joseph
D'Arcy Lawrence
D'Arcy Mary
Day Bernard
Day Edmund
Day Mary
Day William
Del Favero Antonio
Doneley Isabella
Doneley Mary
Dowling Matthew
Dwyer Ada
Dwyer Eleanor
Dwyer Elizabeth
Dwyer John
Dwyer John
Dwyer John
Dwyer Philip
Dwyer Thomas
Errington Charles
Fahey Catherine
Fahey Charles
Fahey David
Fahey Edward
Fahey Eliza
Fahey Eliza

Fahey Emma
Fahey James
Fahey James
Fahey James
Fahey John
Fahey Lilian
Fahey Rebecca
Fahey Thomas
Fahey Timothy
Farrell Edith
Farrell Florence
Farrell Marie
Farrell Mary
Farrell Patrick
Farrell Patrick
Hallahan Denis
Hallahan Mary
Hallahan Maurice
Harrington Phillip
Haughey Edward
Haughey John
Haughey Mary
Haydon John

Hedrick Barbara
Herring Elizabeth
Hewitt Emma
Hilderbrand Elizah
Hilderbrand Sarah
Hughes Charles
Hughes Polina
Humphries George
Jefferey Margaret
Jefferey Mary
Jefferey William
Johnson John
Keeshen Bridget
Keeshen Mary
Keeshen William
Kelly Bridget
Kelly Hannah
Kelly Jane
Kelly Joseph
Kelly Michael
Kenny Francis

Lewis Clifford
Lewis Mary
Luck Mary
Luck Victor
Lysaght Andrew
Lysaght Ellen
Lysaght Margaret
Lysaght Marie
Lysaght Michael
Lysaght P.C.
Lysaght Patrick (P.C.)
Mackey Stanley
Maloney Augustine
Maloney Catherine
McCormick Ellen
McCormick Thomas
McCue James
McEvoy Catherine
McEvoy Patrick
McEvoy Patrick
McEvoy Thomas
McGoldrick Alex
McGoldrick Lilian
McGrath John
Molloy Honora
Molloy Thomas
Moore James  
Moore Marie
Moore Michael
Moore Patrick
Moore Thomas
Mulholland Alfred
Mulholland Felix
Mulholland Frederick
Mulholland Henry
Mulholland Mabel
Mulholland Mary
Mulholland Mary
O'Loughlan Mary
O'Loughlan Michael
O'Loughlin Helena
O'Loughlin Henry
O'Rourke Catherine
O'Rourke David
Poland John
Rourke Michael
Ryan Malachy
Sheil Augustine
Sheil Ann
Sheil Ellen
Sheil Francis
Sheil Francis
Sheil Francis
Sheil Francis G.
Sheil George
Sheil James A.
Sheill James M.
Sheil Mary
Sheil Violet
Smith Joanna
Smith John
Stanton Elizabeth
Stanton Emma
Stanton James
Stanton John
Tobin Edward
Tobin Harriet
Walsh (unclear name)
Watson Percy
Whittle John
Whittle Mary
Williams Leonard
Wonson Horace
Wonson Ruby
Woods Anna
Woods Arthur

 

wilton cemetery

St. Luke's Church of England graveyard, wilton

Town lots in the settlement of Wilton were first sold in 1844 and the Church of England received two acres for a church, school and parsonage in 1866.  The Church and adjacent cemetery which is of great historical interest is located on Wilton Road (formerly Argyle Street).


View Larger Map

St. Luke's Anglican Church, Wilton

Cemetery transcripts were kept at St Mark's Picton (S.A.G. Reels 0195, 0196).  At various times from 1839 this parish included St. Matthews, The Oaks; St. Albans, Douglas Park; St. Luke's, Wilton; St. Stephen's, Thirlmere; and Yerranderie C of E.   Research material and cemetery transcripts held by the Picton & District Historical and Family History Society are available at Wollondilly Library - Picton Branch, Menangle Street, Picton. (http://www.stonequarry.com.au/padhfhs/)

St. Luke's Cemetery, Wilton

With the introduction of coal mining in the district, miner's homes were built in the village and more recent growth has been experienced with young families moving into the town.

Probably the most eccentric character from Wilton was James Tyson, a multimillionaire who made his initial fortune providing meat for goldminers in the Victorian goldfields. He never married, left no will and, after his death, relatives were left to fight over his assets.